We are driven to be environmentally responsible, which is why we continually recycle. Much of our paper comes from our recycling mills in Tshwane.
Corrugated packaging is a sustainable packaging decision. Made from a renewable source, corrugated cardboard is recovered then recycled to be new packaging that can average over 80% recycled material content.
Sustainability encompasses responsible management of environmental, economic and social resources and impacts. Sustainability has become a critical business marketing and survival strategy, driven by public opinion, government regulation and dramatic changes in major retailers’ purchasing criteria driven by increased consumer awareness.
The growing emphasis on sustainability has profound implications in packaging, subject to intense scrutiny and innovation. Some of the world’s largest retailers now demand measurable improvements in packaging sustainability for the products they buy and sell to consumers.
Corrugated packaging is vital for distribution in Africa. It’s the most frequently used shipping material because it’s cost effective, lightweight, functional and versatile. Its use contributes to more cost-effective and fuel-efficient packaging of products from the point of origin to the point of sale and end use thus reducing fossil fuel consumption.
Biodegradable water-based inks and special coatings enhance the appearance, function and performance of the packaging while retaining their ability to be recycled.
With extensive growth in the size and sophistication of the paper recycling industry in South Africa, corrugated packaging experiences the highest packaging recovery rate in the consumer stream.
Our designers make sustainability a priority in all their designs. Using less without compromising structure, performance and visual impact is our goal in each and every Neopak packaging design.
Sustainability and Social Responsibility Policy
We support strategies that advance an environmentally sustainable and economically prosperous future. We’re committed to the enhancement of the social well-being of our communities through contribution and education.
Our employees are committed to protecting the environment as part of operations and in the development, testing, distribution and ultimate disposal of our products and to continual improvements in environmental performance.
To ensure compliance with the policy, we will:
- Comply with all legal and regulatory environmental requirements applicable to our operations and act openly with government officials to ensure full compliance with such requirements.
- Strive to develop and market products that are safe in their intended use, energy efficient and sustainable. Use product development processes that seek to minimise any adverse effects on the environment.
- Make sustainability a priority in our product designs.
- Avoid the use of all potentially hazardous substances and store, handle and dispose of any of these substances and wastes in a safe and proper manner where necessary.
- Strive to eliminate or reduce hazardous or nuisance releases, if any, to the air, water or land, waste discharges and the use of hazardous materials.
- Encourage reduction, reuse and recycling in all of our activities.
- Encourage responsible use of resources throughout our business, including conserving energy and water use.
- Establish plans and implement related training of our employees to prevent environmental incidents and handle emergencies. In the event that such incidents cannot be prevented, take all reasonable measures to prevent or remedy damage or injury to the natural environment or public.
- Encourage suppliers’ commitment to sustainable development and procure sustainably produced or recycled materials wherever possible.
- Raise awareness in our employees, customers and community.
- Support our customers in implementing sustainable packaging systems.